nVidia vs. ATI

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 29 17:32:30 UTC 2005

I am in the process of writing an new article that
deals with video cards which I hope will be published
on the Linux Journal website.

As part of the article I will need to offer
suggestions as to what sort of video card to buy. Now
I like the idea of promoting firms that are based in
Canada, and even better firms that are based in the
greater Toronto area (and video card builder ATI with
it's headquarters in Markham counts).

However, all reports I have seen give ATI (very) poor
marks for the Linux video card drivers (compared to
nVidia), and reports of ATI Linux install issues are
also discouraging (compared to nVidia). So the
question is can I suggest people seriously look at ATI
as reasonable Linux option?

Colin McGregor

P.S. Just out of curiosity how many people on the list
have written for/been paid for computer related
publications over the past year? If Marcel Gagne is
still on the list he would take top prize. I know
Chris Johnson, William Park and I have, who else?