Compaq LTE 5200

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 20 13:08:50 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 02:47:35PM -0400, Gregory D Hough wrote:
> A world of thanks to you Lennart, it was a pleasure to install Debian on
> this wee bitty relic. It weren't totally without some problems though.
> Like Aptitude (during base-config) didn't mind one bit that I chose more
> packages than my disk could handle. That was install attempt #1. Attempt
> #2 was going well cause I only chose packages in 100MB chunks, then it
> quit with "Something Bad Happened!" During attempt #3 the same thing
> occured and I figured out that it was the debsig-verify package causing
> the aborts. I removed it til I figure out if I missed something about
> the mirrored DEB's not being signed or if I just need to import thae
> actual keys. I thought they would be in the Debian-keyring.

debsig is a good idea, but unfortunately most debian package maintainers
don't sign their packages, and of course anything build by the build
daemon's isn't signed by the maintainer either, so over all at this
time, deb-sigs just doesn't work in general.

> Anyhow the system is installed and stable and with 700MB to spare. But
> before I can configured it as a tinyhoneypot toy, I got to fix some
> minor bugs (me newbie bugs):
>
> 1) Why do so many .debs contain %3a in their filenames (I'm guessing
> it's a colon)?

The version number sometimes contains an epoch value, which makes the
version: epoch:versionnumber

THey use that when someone goofs on a version number and makes it
something where the next version is lower than the last version they did
(liek doing 1.2beta and then releasing 1.2 final version and realizing
1.2beta is higher than 1.2 in the way version numbers are calculated
(after all 1.2b is higher than 1.2a is higher than 1.2 when you look at
util-linux and such).  When this happens, the fix is sometimes done as
1.2final, or they will do 1:1.2 to set an epoch value.  the epoch
overides anything else in the version number, so 1:1.0 is higher
than 1.0 and 2:1.0 is higher than 1:3.6.

They use url encoding in the filenames when apt downloads them through
http.  You should never have to care about that in general.

> 2) I have enabled myself (sole user) to receive root's mail as suggested
> by the install. I am using elmo to read the mail, but cannot delete any
> of the messages. I am trying to nail down an approprite package for
> system checks so I'm trying out a few of similar purpose before I
> decide. Fcheck, samhain and logcheck are sending mail and I'd like to be
> able to keep up with them. I've got to be able to delete the READ
> messages. Neither the <delete> key not "r" work. And when I reopen elmo
> everything reappears as UNREAD.

You should be able to delete your own mail.  I have never seen that not
work, although I haven't used elm in years since mutt is much better
(from what I have read even the author of elm uses mutt himself).

Lennart Sorensen