Compaq LTE 5200

Gregory D Hough mr6re9-mI4xJ4qlgtBiLUuM0BA3LQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 18 18:47:35 UTC 2005

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 02:23:00PM -0400, Gregory D Hough wrote:
>

>>It is not a question of being "good enough" since I'm quite sure they
>>are. It is simply a matter of getting back TARPIT and STRING in
>>NetFilter. These features and a few others are not enabled
>>(Patch-o-Matic) in the prime-time kernel/iptables packages yet. I think
>>this machine would make a great low-risk (disposable) PIT with snort
>>inline and the correctly enabled kernel/iptables packages. QUEUE brings
>>things into userspace for tinkering. I like to tinker with goons probing
>>my IP for service.
>>
>>I just want a basic No X system with some specialized tools For learning
>>and having fun with at the same time. Ain't that what Linux is all about?
>>

>Well you can always install kernel-source-2.6.8 or whatever it is
>called, and run the path-o-matic against it and then build it with
>make-kpkg.  That way you get a kernel with all debian's fixes and your
>new added iptables features.  Or if you prefer, go get the latest
>kernel.org sources, and configure that as you want and build a .deb for
>that instead.  Either works just fine.
>

>>Thanks Lennart, I'm on it. I sure hope this works... Can ya help me out
>>if I get stuck?
>>(TARPIT=stuck ha ha)
>>

>Well you can always ask questions here.
>
>Lennart Sorensen
>--

A world of thanks to you Lennart, it was a pleasure to install Debian on
this wee bitty relic. It weren't totally without some problems though.
Like Aptitude (during base-config) didn't mind one bit that I chose more
packages than my disk could handle. That was install attempt #1. Attempt
#2 was going well cause I only chose packages in 100MB chunks, then it
quit with "Something Bad Happened!" During attempt #3 the same thing
occured and I figured out that it was the debsig-verify package causing
the aborts. I removed it til I figure out if I missed something about
the mirrored DEB's not being signed or if I just need to import thae
actual keys. I thought they would be in the Debian-keyring.

Anyhow the system is installed and stable and with 700MB to spare. But
before I can configured it as a tinyhoneypot toy, I got to fix some
minor bugs (me newbie bugs):

1) Why do so many .debs contain %3a in their filenames (I'm guessing
it's a colon)?

2) I have enabled myself (sole user) to receive root's mail as suggested
by the install. I am using elmo to read the mail, but cannot delete any
of the messages. I am trying to nail down an approprite package for
system checks so I'm trying out a few of similar purpose before I
decide. Fcheck, samhain and logcheck are sending mail and I'd like to be
able to keep up with them. I've got to be able to delete the READ
messages. Neither the <delete> key not "r" work. And when I reopen elmo
everything reappears as UNREAD.

Many Thanks,
farmer6re9