OT: VMWare SeminarJune 16.

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 18 01:30:07 UTC 2005

On June 17, 2005 07:16 am, Sy wrote:

> Does this mean I can run Xen as my main setup[2], run Linux within it
> and then run VMware inside that to use Windows?

I had a few Xen domains on my laptop (Debian) at one point for testing but
support for apm and other things very useful for laptops seems to be lost (or
at least works poorly) under Xen.  These days I'm using SuSE Pro 9.3 for Xen
work (SuSE ships Xen prebuilt, ready to go).

You cannot run vmware inside a Linux/Xen instance at this time, vmware needs
access to raw hardware and Xen does not provide that (it's doesn't fully
emulate x86 arch).

Intel (this year) and AMD (next year) are both adding virtualization support
to their CPUs at which point vmware may run on top of Xen ... since Windows
will run on Xen directly at that point there wouldn't be any need for vmware
though.