Compaq LTE 5200

Gregory D Hough mr6re9-mI4xJ4qlgtBiLUuM0BA3LQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 16 18:23:00 UTC 2005

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 12:39:14PM -0400, Gregory D Hough wrote:
>

>>OK fine I'll do it your way, but first I need to know will I be able to
>>rebuilt the kernel and iptables from souce and install them cleanly on
>>Debian? I was unable to do it with Fedora because of all the quirky
>>things they do to the packages. I had success with a Mandrake distro one
>>time ago with RPM but I've never worked with DEB ever in my whole linux
>>life, oh except for that Xandros mistake I made the other day...
>>
>>Can I patch, build and install a kernel and iptables cleanly and where
>>

>You can if you don't think what they provide is good enough (I certainly
>think their kernels are good enough, so I generally don't build my own
>kernels anymore).

It is not a question of being "good enough" since I'm quite sure they
are. It is simply a matter of getting back TARPIT and STRING in
NetFilter. These features and a few others are not enabled
(Patch-o-Matic) in the prime-time kernel/iptables packages yet. I think
this machine would make a great low-risk (disposable) PIT with snort
inline and the correctly enabled kernel/iptables packages. QUEUE brings
things into userspace for tinkering. I like to tinker with goons probing
my IP for service.

I just want a basic No X system with some specialized tools For learning
and having fun with at the same time. Ain't that what Linux is all about?

>You can use make-kpkg from the package kernel-package which builds a
>.deb from any kernel source with your config.  You can then install and
>later cleanly uninstall that kernel.  Makes it easy to build on one
>machine and install on another since the complete kernel is simply one
>.deb to move around.
>
>make-kpkg works with both debian-kernel-source-<version> packages's
>source and with kernel.org sources the same way.  There are howtos
>showing how to use make-kpkg that are pretty easy to find.
>

>>can I get more info on this wonderful Debian, Sarge?
>>

>www.debian.org
>
>Lennart Sorensen
>--

Thanks Lennart, I'm on it. I sure hope this works... Can ya help me out
if I get stuck?
(TARPIT=stuck ha ha)
farmer6re9