Compaq LTE 5200

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 16 16:50:53 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 12:39:14PM -0400, Gregory D Hough wrote:
> OK fine I'll do it your way, but first I need to know will I be able to
> rebuilt the kernel and iptables from souce and install them cleanly on
> Debian? I was unable to do it with Fedora because of all the quirky
> things they do to the packages. I had success with a Mandrake distro one
> time ago with RPM but I've never worked with DEB ever in my whole linux
> life, oh except for that Xandros mistake I made the other day...
>
> Can I patch, build and install a kernel and iptables cleanly and where

You can if you don't think what they provide is good enough (I certainly
think their kernels are good enough, so I generally don't build my own
kernels anymore).

You can use make-kpkg from the package kernel-package which builds a
.deb from any kernel source with your config.  You can then install and
later cleanly uninstall that kernel.  Makes it easy to build on one
machine and install on another since the complete kernel is simply one
.deb to move around.

make-kpkg works with both debian-kernel-source-<version> packages's
source and with kernel.org sources the same way.  There are howtos
showing how to use make-kpkg that are pretty easy to find.

> can I get more info on this wonderful Debian, Sarge?

www.debian.org

Lennart Sorensen