x86-64 box

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 16 15:22:04 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 12:01:19AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 12:12:36PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote
>
> > The boards I have used so far for amd64 are via and nforce3 based,
> > and I have seen people report great results with nforce4 boards too.
> > Basically the ALSA drivers work great for the i8xx compatible ac97
> > implementation, and the ide and sata seems to work fine (no NCQ yet,
> > but most drives don't support it either yet)
>
>   Thanks, nice to hear.  Actually, the Nvidia complaints seem to have
> dried up recently, so it looks reasonably safe now.

Well people still complain about the lack of proper specifications,
since so far the NCQ feature of the nforce4 is not there, the hardware
firewall (whatever the heck that is) of the network chip isn't
supported, and a few other odd features might not be there.  On the
other hand things do work as well as they seem to on most other
chipsets, and generally faster than any other chipset (in the case of
the nforce4).

When nvidia actually releases specs people might stop complaining
entirely, but that isn't likely to happen.  The users with ATI chipsets
on the other hand seem to be having some serious pains running Linux.

Lennart Sorensen