getting xargs and mail to play nicely

Peter King peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 15 02:57:43 UTC 2005

I want to do a (legitimate!) mailing of a single message to several
recipients, and I'd like each to be the sole recipient specified in
the email -- so no multiple addresses, cc, bcc, or suchlike. I have
the recipients' addresses in a single text file, with one address per
line in the file.

How can I do a "mass mailing"?

Why xargs, I thought, just grep through the address file and feed it
to mail, and redirect the message:

    % grep @ addressfile | xargs -n1 mail -s SUBJECT < messagefile

But this doesn't work: mail tries to take addresses from messagefile,
not from addressfile. If I leave off the messagefile, then I send nice
cheerful null emails to each person listed in addressfile.

What am I missing here? Sorry to be clueless!

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
215 Huron Street
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-3788 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5S 1A1
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42