Daniel Robbins hired by M$

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 14 17:25:37 UTC 2005

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, bob wrote:

> This new "hire and silence" strategy on the part of Microsoft actually
> stands a good chance of slowing the open source movement.  In reality it

I don't think so.  OSS is developed by tens of thousands of dedicated
developers and the number is growing rapidly.  MS is only picking up a few
of the more famous people (and even then only a small minority).  I don't
see their hiring efforts having any effect on the growth of OSS.

> Microsoft certainly has the $ to "hire and silence" a great deal of the key
> people in the open source movement if it truely wanted to.      The fact is
> that they wouldn't have to hire very many to make the strategy effective ...
> they would just have to poach some key people.

I disagree.  Everytime someone becomes less active in OSS (and it happens)
they are replaced.  The OSS movement can survive the loss of any of its
key members, or a many of them.

Cheers,
	Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.