32-bit stuff on an x86-64 box???

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 13 16:35:04 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 06:53:33AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   That's good to hear.  It may allay my concerns about buying an Nvidia
> motherboard.  I assume the drivers cover all the onboard "preipheral
> chips", i.e. audio, graphics, nic?  I'm noticing a lot fewer complaints
> recently about Nvidia driver problems on the Gentoo list.  I don't
> bother with *EVERY* linux-2.6.11-gentoo-r(n) kernel where (n) is the
> Gentoo release number.  I upgrade every 3rd or 4th kernel release unless
> there's a security advisory.  It's on the kernel upgrades that Nvidia
> binary drivers seem to have problems.

nvidia driver worked for me on debian in 64bit mode.  Installed from
debian package just like on 32bit system.

network I never used anything but forcedeth in the 2.6 kernel which
always worked in 32 and 46bit mode.

Sound works at least in stereo as ac97 with alsa.  Always did since it's
compatible with other nforce releases.  I believe the DSP no longer is
part of the chipset, so the proprietary audio driver really wouldn't
make any sense anymore.

Lennart Sorensen