32-bit stuff on an x86-64 box???

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 13 10:53:33 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 12:19:28PM -0400, Lance F. Squire wrote

> >  What about parts of *KERNEL MODE* code being 32-bits in a 64-bit
> >environment?  I'm talking about nVidia's proprietary video-card drivers.
>
> You Do know that Nvidia has had 64 bit drivers out month before the
> first FC2-64 distro was available...

  That's good to hear.  It may allay my concerns about buying an Nvidia
motherboard.  I assume the drivers cover all the onboard "preipheral
chips", i.e. audio, graphics, nic?  I'm noticing a lot fewer complaints
recently about Nvidia driver problems on the Gentoo list.  I don't
bother with *EVERY* linux-2.6.11-gentoo-r(n) kernel where (n) is the
Gentoo release number.  I upgrade every 3rd or 4th kernel release unless
there's a security advisory.  It's on the kernel upgrades that Nvidia
binary drivers seem to have problems.

My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca