x86-64 box

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 9 03:15:35 UTC 2005

On 6/8/05, Mike Newman <presidentofthefuture-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Just a quick question: are all of the anti-Gentoo comments in this
> thread harmless teasing or actual zealotry?

There are Gentoo users out there that are easy marks for ridicule
because of fairly scintillating levels of ignorance that combine with
similarly stellar levels of arrogance.

http://funroll-loops.org/

"I don't think that Debian can really compete with Gentoo. Sure it
might be okay, but when it comes to dependencies, you probably are
still going to have to get them all on your own. Or is there something
like portage in the Debian world as well?"

Years ago, I recall a coworker figuring that Linux was probably not
the right "free Unix" to use because his perception was that the Linux
community consisted of a somewhat undiplomatic group of jerks.
Patrick is using FreeBSD these days...  From what I could see, there
was more than plenty  "jerkiness" to go around amongst the various BSD
folk.

Gentoo seems to have successfully sucked in a sizable population of
kids that want to be perceived as "3L33t3."  Happily, this draws some
"jerks" away from other distributions :-).  That's not to say that
that's what they are all like.  (I know one person who recently joined
their mailing list who has plans involve subtle sarcastic ridicule.
It would doubtless be considered a Big Win if he turns out to be the
catalyst of some large conflagration that gets him booted off the list
:-).)
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)