Dot Matrix Printer

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 5 22:22:51 UTC 2005

On 6/5/05, Stewart C. Russell <scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> lada-h8kxHjy+vg4AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org wrote:
> > I have to print multi-sheet forms and want to use a dot matrix printer to
> > do that. I wonder where I can get a cheap dot matrix printer.
>
> [...]
>
> If/when you buy this, make sure you can drive it as a text printer. You
> don't want to know how slow and cruddy an impact printer doing graphics
> can be ... (and at this point, someone will no doubt reminisce about how
> they did their thesis graphs with a daisywheel driver that used the
> period character as pixels).

When I worked at AES Data in the late 70's, our product (a standalone
word processor) used a daisywheel printer made by Qume -- every now
and again the printer would go bezerk and shoot its carriage to the
far aside with quite a loud bang. Fortunately, the units were well
built, and they recovered well after a power down/up cycle.

Nope, no graphics stories.

Alex