Dot Matrix Printer

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 6 02:24:31 UTC 2005

Alex Beamish wrote:

> When I worked at AES Data in the late 70's, our product (a standalone
> word processor) used a daisywheel printer made by Qume -- every now
> and again the printer would go bezerk and shoot its carriage to the
> far aside with quite a loud bang. Fortunately, the units were well
> built, and they recovered well after a power down/up cycle.

Many years ago, I used to service print wheel printers, from Singer.
Occasionally, the carriage return solenoid would be turned on
continuously and over heat, preventing the carriage from feeding.

Also, on one occasion, had to repair a Teletype ASR 35, where the
carriage slipped off the end of it's track, hitting some contacts on the
paper tape punch, sparking a fire!  Ahh...  Those were the days.  ;-)

> Nope, no graphics stories.

Back then people would often have paper tapes, that would print various
pictures.