ntp inquiry

Kevin Cozens kcozens-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 5 18:33:20 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 08:46:08AM -0400, Stewart C. Russell wrote:

>> That's good to know -- but how accurate is it? A government agency I
>> know of doesn't use NTP but some proprietary solution, as they don't
>> think NTP is accurate enough. I dunno if that's bias, or fact, or issues
>> with Windows's implementation of NTP.

I set my computers clock using ntp and the time information from
time-a.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov (a machine run by the the National Institue
of Standards and Technology in Colorado) . Under Windows, the program I
use indicates its using SNTP as the protocol to connect to the same
machine. The NIST have an atomic clock and use the time from that clock
for the voice announcements you hear over shortwave via radio stations
WWV, WWVH, and WWVB. I wind up with my computer clock set (within a
fraction of a second) to the same time as the voice announcements I hear
via shortwave. No other Internet address has given me time information
as close to that of WWV/WWVH/WWVB.