ntp inquiry

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 5 14:40:41 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 08:46:08AM -0400, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> That's good to know -- but how accurate is it? A government agency I
> know of doesn't use NTP but some proprietary solution, as they don't
> think NTP is accurate enough. I dunno if that's bias, or fact, or issues
> with Windows's implementation of NTP.

Well if you want time accurate to the uS then runbning your own stratum
0 or 1 server may be necesary.  You can buy atomic clocks for just such
a use, or you can use a timing gps module to get your time off GPS which
gives very accurate time too.  Those can feed into ntpd and provide a
very accurate clock, or in the case of some products you can run special
software they sell on windows to use the inputs to give accurate time.

I have no idea if the time on windows does anymore than a regular
ntpdate call to keep time accurate.  I don't think they have an ntpd
equivalant built in.

Lennart Sorensen