Help on controlling BASH command line

pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 4 15:42:48 UTC 2005

Hello

I have noticed over the past 10 years a "feature" about BASH (or
probably xterm) that has me mildly annoyed. It is only now that I
wish to discuss it since no one I know of has complained about it.

I like coloured command prompts. My current one is:
             PS1='\e[1;31m\h\e[m::\e[1;33m\w\e[m \e[1;32m>\e[m'
Now if I type in a command, say of more than 20 characters, the
display goes nuts. That is, the cursor jumps to the previous line on
some nonrandom column and continues for another 5 or 6 characters,
then jumps to the previous line to that.

This could be a problem with xterm, although trying it now on a
console, there is an earliy linebreak to the line below, so the
program running the command line just deals with the bug differently.

Now, if I type a line, I would like it to be *me* that inserts the
carriage returns; not the program. Is there a way to do this?

Paul King