Open Source for mission-critical systems (slightly OT)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 2 16:47:06 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 12:18:24PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> PostgreSQL doesn't yet have anything meaningful in terms of answers
> for multimaster replication, but that represents a tough problem.
> (Albeit one where efforts are under way.
> <http://www.slony2.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page>)
>
> There have historically been several ways of doing single-master
> replication, notably including:
> - eRServer <http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/erserver/projdisplay.php>
> - Mammoth Replicator
> <http://www.commandprompt.com/products/mammothreplicator/?page=products&item=mammothpostgresql>
> - Slony-I <http://slony.info/>

Certainly 3 or 4 years ago none of them were capable enough to really be
called live replication.  Some even required adding all sorts of
triggers and mess to yoru database whenever you created new tables,
which was asking way too much when you were trying to keep things
portable to another database if necesary.

If a database goes down, the applications (clients) should be using the
other one without really noticing anything had happened.  When I looked
at the solutions in opensource 3-4 years ago, nothing existed so we did
the best we could with only one live database.

Lennart Sorensen