Open Source for mission-critical systems (slightly OT)

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 2 16:18:24 UTC 2005

On 6/1/05, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> The postgresql database has since been replaced by oracle since that is
> what futureshop uses for their main web site, and replication isn't
> something postgresql really does yet.  Having an active mirrored
> database was always something we wanted but didn't have.

Hum?

PostgreSQL doesn't yet have anything meaningful in terms of answers
for multimaster replication, but that represents a tough problem.
(Albeit one where efforts are under way.
<http://www.slony2.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page>)

There have historically been several ways of doing single-master
replication, notably including:
- eRServer <http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/erserver/projdisplay.php>
- Mammoth Replicator
<http://www.commandprompt.com/products/mammothreplicator/?page=products&item=mammothpostgresql>
- Slony-I <http://slony.info/>
--
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/slony.html
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him