Draft installfest flyer

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 28 17:03:36 UTC 2005

--- Ansar Mohammed <ansarm-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> No, really, no FreeBSD?

I like FreeBSD, I like it a lot, at my office there
are two FreeBSD boxes that are vital to the on-going
health of my office, and I have found them ROCK SOLID
reliable.

As I noted to a Microsoft Rep. when they were in town
earlier this year, one of those FreeBSD boxes replaced
three Windows 2000 boxes for our office mail server.
We then went from one unplanned/unscheduled re-boot
every 3 days to one unplanned/unscheduled re-boot over
the course of a year (the one unplanned/unscheduled
FreeBSD box reboot was caused by a power failure that
outlasted our UPS...). We also no longer had to bring
in outside experts to try and keep the @#$% Windows
2000 boxes running (so it was a BIG saver on cash).

In other words, yes I am a fan of FreeBSD, for set it,
and ALMOST ignore it type server operations FreeBSD is
great. The problem is we are a LINUX user group, and
while if asked I would be happy to sing FreeBSD's
praises, but the focus should I think stay on Linux.
Beyond that, I would also be very happy to point
people to the Unix Unanimous user group here in
Toronto (that deals in the various *BSDs along with
Solaris, etc.).

Colin McGregor