White Box linux

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 27 20:23:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 04:05:53PM -0400, jon wrote:
> I'm running it on dell sc server(cheapest one),If the support you mean
> is vender support,then yes,once you choose white box,centos or even
> debian,you have to support yourself,I mean you learn ,you ask question
> in newsgroup,mail-list and do it yourself.
>
> If what you concern is what kinda flavor of linux can be run on IBM
> box,AFAIK,all of them can work,raid card and video card might be a
> issue,but you'll find a way to solve it.

I have run Debian on IBM servers before.  Never had any problems at all.
Serveraid 4 cards worked (as well as they are likely to ever work), and
so did everything else.  This was maybe 2 or 3 years ago now.

I think video was S3 or ATI on them, and well I never did need it for
anything other than text, but I am sure X could run on it too.

Lennart Sorensen