How do I gracefully exit/shutdown a "remote" machine?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 25 00:07:51 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 10:48:22PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote

> After all, I would surely hope you could put a reasonable amount of
> authentication information (e.g. - copy of ~/.ssh) on (oh, say) a USB
> key that you put in a safe spot.  If it's on a chain around your neck,
> well, if you make it out of the apartment fire that destroyed the
> Toronto-based PC, then you probably have a usable set of SSH keys
> around your neck.

  I started a thread about this a few months ago.  This was after a fire
alarm (fortunately false) in my condo building one night.  My concern
was about offsite storage.  I.e. backups to CD don't do you much good if
the entire building burns down.

  My solution was to get a "shirtpocket USB external drive" with 40 gigs
capacity, back up to it, and stash it into my safety-deposit box at the
bank.  I made sure to measure the inside of my safety-deposit box
*BEFORE* buying the external drive<g>.

My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca