Fw:Notebook Battery...

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 24 08:08:58 UTC 2005

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, Francois Ouellette wrote:

>> five seconds with Google yielded this:
>>
>> http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12257_na/12257_na.html
>>
>> notice 'charges and *calibrates*' the battery. The Google search key
>> was:
>>
>> laptop battery charge indicator calibration
>>
>> good luck,
>> Peter
>
> I wonder what "calibrate" really means here, upwards? downwards? what is the
> reference?

There are 2 references: fully loaded and empty. Also advanced battery
gauges will compute a piecewise approximation of the discharge graph for
various currents and show the correct indication and an estimate of time
left at the current load. The calibration is autmatic but it must be
started somehow. Most laptops I have seen have this in the BIOS or as a
manufacturer's utility. The manufacturers clearly say to do this
(calibrate) once every few months.

Peter