Fw:Notebook Battery...

Henry Spencer henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 23 04:10:31 UTC 2005

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, James Knott wrote:
> >>...they would offer an exorbitantly expensive,
> >>but unbelievably performing battery.  But they don't.
> > Alas, unbelievable performance is really hard to come by in batteries,
> > at any cost.
>
> Lithium is about the best you material for batteries.  You can't get
> significantly more enery in a battery.

Any real lithium-based battery contains compromises, though, and in
principle you can do *somewhat* better by improving on those.

Notably, it wasn't easy to make *rechargeable* lithium batteries, and that
involved a number of compromises.  You probably could make a laptop
battery with rather startling performance... if you were willing to make
it one-shot, recyclable but not rechargeable.  It wouldn't be cheap.

(Me, I'll stick with my Psion Series 5 for working while traveling.  Small
monochrome screen with lousy contrast, and highly nonstandard software,
but I can read text and edit text and touch-type text quite adequately on
it, and that's generally enough for me.  And it fits in a belt holster.
And, not insignificantly, it runs 20-25 hours on two alkaline AAs...!)

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org