The Screamin' Firefox Blues

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 22 15:16:45 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 10:50:56AM -0400, Rob Sutherland wrote:
> So, how do you control sound in Firefox? What's happening is that I'll
> be working away with xmms blasting away
> and then it stops. After using my usual debug technique of killing
> things in lavaps one at a time I discovered that when
> Firefox dies it seems to release a flood of audio chaos - most
> discombobulating when you have the speakers up at
> Blue Oyster Cult levels. The Edit/Preferences windows doesn't seem to
> have any audio settings and about:config has
> too many :-) Can anyone tell me what to set to control audio output from
> Firefox? I have an nvidia AC-97 using the
> snd-intel8x0 driver with Krud FC3.

I suspect it may be something like flash plugin or some other plugin
grabbing (or trying to grab) the sound device.  I would have thought
xmms would have it locked, but it may release it when changing songs or
something and let something else grab it.  perhaps using an alsa
software mixer would help since that would allow multiple things to use
the sound card at once.  The alsa web site has some examples for the
asoundrc on how to set that up.

Or you could get an emu10kX card that allows at least 32 programs to use
sound at the same time with no software mixing. :)

Lennart Sorensen