How do I gracefully exit/shutdown a "remote" machine?

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 21 23:07:30 UTC 2005

On July 21, 2005 15:32, James Knott wrote:
> CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> >>
> >>Get a disk on key and put putty and ssh statically compiled on
> >> it, along with your keys and minimal tools to use them.
> >
> > I already have that but it does not help when I have to ssh from
> > a remote host to another remote host. How would I plug in this
> > disk on key to a machine in say, Germany, when I am in Toronto so
> > that the machine in Germany could access my private RSA key on
> > the disk on key? Perhaps I could do some sort of remote mount to
> > avoid having to copy my private key onto the remote server.
>
> ?????
>
> When you use a key in ssh, you need the key on the computer you're
> connecting from.  You carry that around on the USB disk and plug it
> in when you need it.  However, as always, when using those keys,
> you have to place the corresponding key on the server first.

I am aware of that. What if the computer I am connecting from is not
in front of me? A is the computer in front of me. B and C are remote
hosts, one in Belgium and the other in Germany. I connect to B from
A. I need to connect to C from B. B has my pub key on it but not my
private key. C does not accept password auth. I know this can be done
with ssh agent forwarding but I have not investigated it yet to
figure how or even if it can be done in a secure manner. My solution
for now, as imperfect as it is, is to copy my private key to B and
delete it after using it to establish the connection between B and C.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation