Routing frustrations

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 21 02:44:22 UTC 2005

Hi,

If you have servers a, b and c,

  [a] --- [b] --- [c]

and you are having problems getting a and c to talk to one another,
then you need to make sure the following things are true.

1. a has to know that it needs to get to c via b, usually by telling
it which network connection to go through;

2. b has to permit IP forwarding;

3. c has to know how to get back to a, usually by telling it which
network connection to go through;

4. the relevant interfaces on a, b and c need to be up and running; and

5. the ports that you're using on a, b and c shouldn't be blocked by
clever firewall rules.

Good luck.

Alex Beamish