major wiki-spam alert !

Sy sy1235-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 21 00:14:02 UTC 2005

I think the best all-around method would be captcha and forced logins.
 However, wikipedia doesn't have a captcha login system that I know
of.

I would pull my fingernails out before using a captcha system for
every edit.  I sometimes edit a page dozens of times before I'm happy
with it.

Your mention of IP blocking circumvention is a good point.  With that
in mind, and considering how easy it is to register a user, I see no
proper long-term solution.  Email validation would also help a little,
but is also spammer-scriptable.

* Forced logins = script a login bot
** User banning = make a new user
* Email validation for new users (not yet possible) = script a reply bot
* IP blocking = circumvention
* Use google redirect for all links = makes me twitch, doesn't stop
spamming but only stops their benefit through google.

So far the only real solution is to keep rolling back and banning.

I swear, I'd love to design a distributed bot which auto-spams
multiple pages from multiple IPs faster than humans can rollback.
Then maybe wiki security would be forced to grow up.