major wiki-spam alert !

J. Qiang Li shijialee-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 20 15:40:25 UTC 2005

--- Sy <sy1235-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

I started to see the porn spambot in action since July 12. ruby on rails' wiki users are busying
rolling back their wikipages.  http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/recently_revised/

> Ok, so we do have one voice voting for requiring usernames.  If a few
> other people speak up, this is a setting that can be made mandatory
> quite easily..  Assuming I can remember how to ssh in.  ;)

that will die down the spam and be okay for now (I hope). but what if the spammer have a robot
register accounts and defacing wiki page too ?

> Regarding the IP blocking techniques

It's not really useful as I have seen spammer using proxy to bypass this.

I really love to see the wiki integrated with CAPTCHA (ask user to key in the symbols in the pic
before posting). This will stop the spambot and they are the biggest thread to wiki pages. there
are many implementation in various languages for this technique.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha

James.Q.L