major wiki-spam alert !

Rob Sutherland rob-HoWcdTCbwWKHoZZAE0nKLw at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 19 02:49:17 UTC 2005

psema4 wrote:

>Not sure that mod_rewrite is what u want.  If it is, then u'r ahead of me.

I'd just use 'deny from 64.71.131.107' or whatever ip you want to block
in your httpd.conf file.
I think the absolute number of wiki spammers is fairly small, at least,
I've got half a dozen Chinese
sites blocked and that seems to have slowed it down a lot. I think these
guys are mainly a problem
if you have a 'ghost' wiki, something that's just sitting there without
a community or anyone checking
it regularly.

>>Spam on the wiki is something that's going to happen now and again.
>>I'm not worried about it, and I don't mind the occasional interest in
>>the topic as it flares up here.. but if anyone needs anything more
>>immediately from me, email me and also write a note on my talk page:
>>http://gtalug.org/index.php/User_talk:Sy
>>

>>What I really would like is to have some sort of magical apache
>>rewrite rule generating auto-ban application which taps into a central
>>blacklist repository of generally accepted spammers.  Such a thing
>>exists for other arenas, but I don't know of anything build for apache
>>in general or for wikis / mediawiki.

Well, there are a couple of blacklists out there - but they all seem to
be package specific and tied into the wiki
code rather than using apache. I just grabbed the one off of twiki.org

Here's an article I wrote a while ago on the topic after my twiki got
hit that has some good links and some
interesting comments

http://software.newsforge.com/software/05/06/21/1641223.shtml?tid=74&tid=48

I'd say http://chongqed.org/news.shtml is a pretty good source for info