Any good books/courses on GIMP

Kevin Cozens kcozens-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 18 16:30:05 UTC 2005

Rob Sutherland wrote:
> Walter Dnes wrote:
>
>>  Having just gotten a digital camera 3 weeks ago, I've started playing
>> around with GIMP, and realized how complex it is.  Is there a book or
>> even a training course that someone can recommend?

GIMP isn't really any more complex than most program it is often compared to (
> This is pretty good
>
> http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/

Yes, "Grokking The GIMP" can be useful (or at least was). It shows a copyright
date of 2000 and mentions version 1.1.15 in the acknowledgement section. You
should know this is a VERY old (ancient?) version of GIMP and is no longer
supported. The current stable release of GIMP is 2.2.8 and the development
version (a tarball of a 2.3.2 release is available) is well on its way towards
a 2.4 release.

The main site for information about GIMP is http://www.gimp.org/. Check the
Documentation link on the left side of the page. You will find a link to the
GIMP User Manual (GUM).

Both "Grokking the GIMP" and GUM should be enough to get you started on using
the program. They will get you familiar with the interface of GIMP and the
basics of using it. There is also the GIMP Help project which is (or will)
make it easier to get help for GIMP from within the program. The main problem
with the out-of-date documentation is that you will encounter menu items have
been renamed and/or moved.

Many (most?) of the GIMP manuals are out of date. One of the gimp developers
has started the work to update one of the documents to reflect the current
state of GIMP.

While you are checking out the gimp.org site, click on Links. This will get
you to a page with links to other useful sites and other information related
to getting help for GIMP. The mailing list (ie. gimp-user) and the IRC channel
  #gimp on GIMPNet) are two good places to get help but it would be a good
idea to get familiar with the basics of using GIMP first.

--
Cheers!