TLUG's value to community ???

John Macdonald john-Z7w/En0MP3xWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 11 19:19:39 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 12:29:19PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 10, 2005 at 05:12:01PM -0400, John Macdonald wrote:
> > As far as I am concerned, the most valuable purpose of this
> > group is to provide support for Linux at a local community
> > level, and the mailing list and monthly meetings do an excellent
> > job of that without any need for fees or formal organization.
>
> I think you misunderstand, somewhere.  Meeting and mailing list are
> free, and will stay free.

The impression that Bill gave in the preceeding exchange
was that the tlug mailing list would be deleted, and a new
gtalug mailing list would be created, requiring everyone to
acknowledge the name change and the authority of the group that
set up the non-profit incorporation as a condition of joining
the new list.  (That makes me think of using an EULA as a way
of getting "concensus".)

Perhaps I misunderstood what Bill intended to mean.

[repeated]
> I think you misunderstand, somewhere.  Meeting and mailing list are
> free, and will stay free.

Further on in my message, I expressed doubt that such a change
would happen in the way that Bill had seemed to suggest -
from your response it would seem that you agree that I was
correct about that.