TLUG's value to community ???

billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 10 22:53:43 UTC 2005

> People, including me, find it hard to believe that GTALUG is busily
> accumulating money but has no idea what will be done with it.  They
> certainly don't see any reason why *they* should give GTALUG money without
> first hearing more details of how it will be used and what GTALUG's plans
> are.

There are several ideas, but at the moment the accumulation of money is really just filling a bank account.

The main reason for the membership drive is to obtain bodies. The money will find a use in the future and its mere existence builds confidence that organization will survive.

One big reason to obtain members is that an election isn't everyone on the board asking each other what title do they want this year. I realize this is a new concept seeing that TLUG has never had any elections (Drew was never elected by the way, neither was Lazlo, Drew's predessor), but its an important part of incorporating. By the way, this is the main topic of the August executive meeting. Anyone interested in this please attend.

> The suggestion of abolishing this mailing list and immediately creating a
> clone of it has a nasty smell of ego trips and empire building rather than
> of contributing helpful organization to an existing informal community.
> This isn't helping your case, guys.

 The problem is that this is no longer a informal cummunity. It is a formal organization. You don't have to be a member of this formal organization to be on this list or come to the meetings (because that was one of the mandates of GTALUG), but you have to accept the fact that this organization is what runs the mechanisms that allow this community to function. That is the mandate of GTALUG.

Bill