Hardware Issues?

John Moniz john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 7 00:07:54 UTC 2005

Adam Raymond wrote:

>Hello all!
>
>I've been running two slackware boxes (headless) to the side of my
>desk. One is a p2 with 333mhz, the other is a p3 with 600 mhz. The
>better box (600mhz) has always given my problems. It shuts down
>randomly. I ave frequent kernel panics. So after school finished, I
>decided to take a good look at the box. One error I noticed was
>something to do with a rambus error. So i took out one stick of ram,
>and tested the other. Vice versa. I found out that the 128 stick was
>the busted one :( (I think). But the box is still active very weird. I
>hates the ubuntu install, and cant even load mandrake. Slackware seems
>to be the only distro it will handle.
>
>Regardless, there is some wonky hardware in it. and I need to find out
>what the problem is.
>
>And suggestions?
>
>Thanks!

I just finished upgrading my sisters PC to Mandrake 10.1. While at it,
it was giving me all sorts of weird boot problems, even rebooted for no
apparent reason. It turns out that my sister had been having these
problems for a while.

After trying many, many things, I took *everything* out of the case and
ran it off a table top. It ran beautifully. Did my upgrade, put it back
in the case and got problems again.

To shorten the story, I insulated the screws to the motherboard (both
sides) and the problem has not reappeared.

I have another machine that has rebooted on its own at times. Now I have
a possible solution to try.

John.