TLUG's value to community ???

G. Matthew Rice matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 6 23:17:32 UTC 2005

billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org writes:
> There are quite a few services that TLUG provides:
>
> This mailing list, finding volunteers to do presentations, running the
> meetings, promoting linux to organizations that ask, etc ...
>
> The problem is that these services are provided for free and thus many
> people on the list see them as having no value.

Bill,

I think that you are side-stepping a CRITICAL issue here.

Could you explain what the membership fees to GTALUG are being used for?  I'm
happy to join GTALUG once I find out what the heck is going on.  I even
helped raise the initial money to found GTALUG.  However, the last time that
I was in on an incorporation meeting I asked:

   10 MATT: Why are we incorporating?
   20 RESPONSE: So that we can collect money to pay for things.
   30 MATT: What things do we need to pay for?
   40 RESPONSE: Accounting for the incorp and other things we want to do.
   50 MATT: So what do we want to do that we need to pay for?
   60 RESPONSE: Well, nothing that we can think of offhand.
   70 GOTO 10

I haven't been invited to a meeting in a loooong time ;)

So far everything is free and looks like it will be so for the foreseeable
future.  Heck, I'm hosting NewTLUG's web site and mailing lists.  Happy to do
so for TLUG, too, if it becomes onerous for Drew.

So can you answer the big question of what is going on with this GTALUG beast
that no one knows anything about but still requires care and feeding?  It has
been months (a year?) since people started collecting membership fees and
still no word on what this is all about.

Of course, this also gets to the question "where did GTALUG get the idea that":

   GTALUG = incorp + TLUG + NewTLUG + westlug

because that seems to be the representations that is being made and may be
news to Herb (NewTLUG) and Bill (westlug).

I'm not trying to be belligerent.  I would just like to hear something from
someone at GTALUG.

Regards,
--
g. matthew rice <matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>           starnix, toronto, ontario, ca
phone: 647.722.5301 x242                                  gpg id: EF9AAD20