TLUG's value to community ???

billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 6 22:50:22 UTC 2005

> I didn't know that.  But, the issue is about money (ain't it always).
> We should be providing a concrete service to our community.  But, we
> don't have any "service" to provide and don't have "community" to
> provide the service to.  Having something on these 2 fronts would go
> long way.

There are quite a few services that TLUG provides:
This mailing list, finding volunteers to do presentations, running the meetings, promoting linux to organizations that ask, etc ...

The problem is that these services are provided for free and thus many people on the list see them as having no value.

This reminds me of the scene from the Life of Brian.
"What have the Roman's ever done for us?"

>     - group rate on ISP accounts.  Recently, there was flurry of
>       activities about getting ISP account.  Perhaps, if we can get
>       committment from 50 people (for example), then we could go to
>       local ISP for group deal.  Everybody benefits, discount for us and
>       more business for the ISP.
>
>     - group rate on computer parts.  Again, everybody has bought
>       computer parts in the past.  But, if we can make a deal with local
>       store/supplier for group deal, then everybody can benefit.
>       Savings for us and more business for the store.
>
>     - Linux courses or tutorials.  I would like to see a relationship
>       developed with community colleges and other schools.  We can
>       certainly help them put together "Introduction to Linux" course.
>       Perhaps, provide instructors for their courses.  Our collective
>       expertise is pretty impressive, so we should be able to use it at
>       something.

These are all excellent ideas.

Bill