Dedicated server prices?

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 6 22:10:00 UTC 2005

I needed to host a client on a dedicated service in Canada due to possible legal issue
with respect to file sharing (they were doing). [so we didnt want to host in US]
I researched and found Netnation to be the best value  500 GB / month, 160GB Raid, or 320 GB non-raid,
2.8 GHZ, etc,etc, (250$/mon or around that)

It all seems to boils down to Harddrive space,
i found a place in the US for 100$USD/month for 3.5TB transfer but only 40GB HD,
where as Netnation is 500GB transfer but 320 GB HD,

seems to me you have to decide exactly what HD requirement you need, then choose,

but US does seem to have better economies of scale at some hosting companies POPs, with
respect to their bandwidth. As well the US has always been more of a "all you can eat"
in nature, so they tend to have better "you can used big bandwith" deals!, knowing
a lot of the time people don't follow through and use as much BW as they think they might use.

If you need big HD space, nothing else I saw even came close to Netnation at 250$/mon for 320 GB of HD storage.

For $79.00 i would be very leery of quality of BW, service contract and reliablity, in addition to stability
(i.e. are they going out of business tomorrow).

-tl