Shared Memory

Taavi Burns jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 31 21:10:15 UTC 2005

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:53:24 -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> SATA has a new power connector, and future SATA specs will require the
> drives to start using 5V and 3.3V only while current IDE drives use 5V
> and 12V.  This will make a difference in power consumption (voltage
> converters are not 100% efficient after all and electronics today don't
> use 12 or even 5V).

Well, I'm pretty sure that the electronics haven't used 12V for a good 15 years
either; that would have been for the motors in ye olde 5.25" full-height HDs.
Note that your CD and DVD drives are half-height.  You do the math.  :)

Since the newer drives are all small anyway, nobody has to use a 12V motor
anymore, and the electronics are all 3.3V, too.

Neat detail, though.  :)

--
taa
/*eof*/