Shared Memory

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 31 20:53:24 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 01:40:25PM -0500, Henry Spencer wrote:
> Except there's no obvious reason why it would be so.  The *only*
> fundamental difference in the drive is the cable interface, and I don't
> think that generally ranked high as a power consumer.

SATA has a new power connector, and future SATA specs will require the
drives to start using 5V and 3.3V only while current IDE drives use 5V
and 12V.  This will make a difference in power consumption (voltage
converters are not 100% efficient after all and electronics today don't
use 12 or even 5V).

Lennart Sorensen