Xlib error

John Vetterli jvetterli-zC6tqtfhjqE at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 27 04:17:25 UTC 2005

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 18:31:00 -0500
Matt Cahill <m-cahill-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On January 24, 2005 04:25 pm, John Vetterli wrote:
> > Let me guess: from kdm, you log in as a regular user, then in an
> > xterm, you su to root?  If so, the problem is that the info needed
> > by X's authorization thingee is in the regular user's .Xauthority,
> > not root's. Try try logging in as root, or running "xhost +" before
> > su-ing to root.  As a follow-up, it seems that I have to run 'xhost
> > +' each time I reboot
> (when I intend to run apps like synaptic or the Libranet Xadminmenu).
> It would probably be simple enough to add 'xhost +' to my startup
> routine, but it doesn't really address why I now need to do this.
> Would you have any clue why it seems to reset itself?

Well, disabling access control with "xhost +" is considered to be
insecure, since then anybody who can access your machine's port 6000 (or
6001, or 6002, etc. depending on how many X servers you have running)
could then put their windows on your display, destroy windows that your
applications are using, take snapshots of your desktop (maybe), or
change your wallpaper to pictures of Michael Jackson.  So "xhost -" is
the default.

JV
--
Rules build up fortifications behind which small minds create satrapies.
A perilous state of affairs in the best of times, disastrous during

  -- Bene Gesserit Coda