DVD burner farm

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 26 14:52:30 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 11:39:33PM -0500, Henry Spencer wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, jim ruxton wrote:
> > Even if that is true I want to be able to quickly pump out the DVDs and
> > probably don't have time to burn a master...
>
> What sort of production volume are you looking at?  The stamping processes
> used in commercial production of CDs and DVDs are *much* cheaper than any
> burning process... provided you are buying hundreds or thousands of copies.
> (And provided you're willing to deal with a factory; this is not something
> you can do in your basement.)
>
> Those processes can also do things you *cannot* do with burning, like
> producing honest-to-God DVDs (not DVD-Rs or DVD+Rs).  The differences go
> deeper than just the physical details of the disks; for example, if I
> recall correctly, you cannot burn a DVD which has region codes or the
> commercial-DVD encryption, because the "keys" region of the disk is
> unwritable (all zeros) in all the consumer-priced burnable formats.

Someone with a DVD-R(A) drive can do region coding.  A DVD-R(G) drive
can not.  The former costs $xxxx while the later costs $1xx.  DVD-R(A)
(A for authoring, G for general purpose) are also up in the $10+ per
disc last I checked.  The pioneer DVR-201 and such I believe are
DVD-R(A) drives.

And yeah many older players can not play any burned discs, while they
can all play the stamped discs no problem (as long as the software and
firmware don't have any arguments).

Lennart Sorensen