Plextor 712A won't rewrite DVD-RW (why not?)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 25 17:20:00 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 10:51:24AM -0500, Peter King wrote:
> I can (re)write DVD+RW without any problem. It's only rewriting DVD-RW
> that poses a problem.

Hmm, how odd.  Any chance you could try if cdrecord-prodvd binaries
(google search should find them easily) can do a blank operation on the
disc?  I don't personally like using cdrecord-prodvd, but if it works,
and growisofs doesn't then perhaps the authors of dvd+rw-tools would
have a clue about what to go fix.

> I've posted there, too, but no replies yet; the answer must be either
> too easy or too hard!

Kernel version?  Is the growisofs the latest release?  Is firmware up to
date on the plextor? (You can flash it from linux fairly easily).

Lennart Sorensen