Emergency

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 24 19:11:04 UTC 2005

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, John McGregor wrote:

> If you did it with Knoppix and you are sure that the drive hasn't been
> affected then a complete shutdown of the machine will kill Knoppix and
> anything that is residing in its memory buffers.Knoppix does its

The mkfs will still have hit disk (specifically whatever /dev/hda1 was
referencing).  I think Madison is saying Knoppix hasn't copied anything to
the new filesystem.

> permanent writes when the shutdown sequence is initiated (if you haven't
> saved the changes already). "Pulling the plug" on the machine will
> prevent that and in this case it should leave the original file system
> intact. YMMV

You can prevent a write to the disk by killing the power before the
buffercache is flushed, but you need to be fast.  Metadata was flushing
after no more than 5 seconds last time I checked.

OTOH the nature of a mkfs would make even this impossible.  mkfs does go
back and look at its handiwork before saying all is ok.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.