Emergency

Taavi Burns jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 24 19:17:04 UTC 2005

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:05:51 -0500, John McGregor
<mr.mcgregor-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> If you did it with Knoppix and you are sure that the drive hasn't been affected
> then a complete shutdown of the machine will kill Knoppix and anything that is
> residing in its memory buffers.Knoppix does its permanent writes when the shutdown
> sequence is initiated (if you haven't saved the changes already). "Pulling the plug"
> on the machine will prevent that and in this case it should leave the original file
> system intact. YMMV

I _highly_ suspect that mkfs does proper fsyncing to ensure that when
the command
completes, the writes have actually been made to disk.  And since this drive was
probably formatted by an identical command, it's likely that all of
the copies of the
superblock are toast.

The data are 99% likely to still be entirely intact.  But you just
lost your roadmap.
Finding the data in sane, cohesive "files" will be tricky.

I once reconstructed JPEG files from my digital camera when they were
'accidentally' erased (i.e. there was a bug in iPhoto; this was nearly
two years ago), but that was for
a FAT filesystem with a very simple access pattern (lay files down,
delete all, repeat).

--
taa
/*eof*/