Debian - Apache help

Ilya Palagin tux-4CS0UopE6WdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 21 20:11:45 UTC 2005

Quoting Andrew Hammond <ahammond-swQf4SbcV9C7WVzo/KQ3Mw at public.gmane.org>:

> Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> >
> >> If I want to see how Apache2 works etc., do I have to uninstall Apache
> >> or will apt-get look after all those details?
>  >
> > No, I do not know if apt-get will do the thing and I do not care to
> > know. Or rpm would do?
>
> Yes, apt-get will look after all those details. I don't know if apache
> and apache2 can co-exist on the same box these days. I suspect they can,
> but haven't actually tried it recently. All other things being equal,
> you probably want to run apache2.
Yes, apache servers can co-exists, running on different ports, and apt-get will
allow installation of both.  But some other packages like php can't.  If you
'apt-get install' php4 for apache2, one for apache1.3 will be uninstalled.  I
guess situation will be the same for all third-party apache modules and
extensions.

Ilya.