Debian - Apache help

Andrew Hammond ahammond-swQf4SbcV9C7WVzo/KQ3Mw at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 21 19:59:43 UTC 2005

Zbigniew Koziol wrote:

>> If I want to see how Apache2 works etc., do I have to uninstall Apache
>> or will apt-get look after all those details?
 >
> No, I do not know if apt-get will do the thing and I do not care to
> know. Or rpm would do?

Yes, apt-get will look after all those details. I don't know if apache
and apache2 can co-exist on the same box these days. I suspect they can,
but haven't actually tried it recently. All other things being equal,
you probably want to run apache2.

> You can always however compile another version and configure it to
> listen on another port than 80. You may have 64 thousands versions of
> apache on your machine.

Actually, any pre-compiled binary of apache I've ever worked with can be
configured to run on non-default ports. Merv, take a look in
/etc/apache2/ports.conf on debian for apache2.

Compiling a binary just to change the default port would be a pretty
ignorant thing to do. Not to mention a waste of time.

> I consider all these tricks with apt-get and rpm as a step back in the
> development of the system and in educating people. It makes also Linux
> more similar to Windows.

If by that you're talking about how Windows has lowered the bar for
entry and made it easy for newbies to get started using the system, then
I think there could be no greater compliment to Linux. If you meant it
as an insult, which it sounds like you did, then clearly you don't know
what you're talking about. There are situations where compiling from
scratch is an unavoidable necessity. They are few and far between.

> I see no big advantage of installing packages
> over compiling from source code.

Then clearly your experience is limited to running a hobby box or
possibly admining a toy system. Anyone who considers their time valuable
knows the advantages of pre-compiled binaries. Anyone who's ever tried
to install a package with inter-related dependencies knows the value of
a package management system. And if you still fail to appreciate the
value of a package management system, try upgrading a package which is
already in place.

Building good binaries is not a trivial skill. To do it right for any
non-trivial package requires a lot of time spent learning the
peculiarities of that package. The simple fact is that there are way
more software packages on the average system than anyone can learn. In
this case, the package maintainer for the distribution almost certainly
will make a better binary than you will.

> In both cases people ask questions ;)
> Questions asked about compiling are more productive.

I don't understand exactly how you define productive. To my mind,
questions asked about compiling belong on the mailing list for the
software being compiled. They certainly are not appropriate for a
general list such as this.

> Zbigniew Koziol, SoftQuake^(tm) Open Source Business Solutions
> Web Development, Linux, Web Mail Fax Voice Servers, Networking
> Consultations, Innovative Technologies Tel/Fax: 1-416-530-2780
> Toronto,  Canada,  http://www.softquake.ca,  info-lcEyp1+e+UdAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org

Jack of all trades, master of none?