Computer books

Anthony de Boer adb-tlug-AbAJl/g/NLXk1uMJSBkQmQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 15 17:44:13 UTC 2005

Peter Hiscocks wrote:
> I'd agree that the collections at Indigo and Chapters are pretty useless for
> serious reading in computer science.
>
> However, as far as the sale of computer books is concerned, you will recall
> that Toronto Computer Books, which used to be on Yonge south of Wellesley,
> had a very good collection and seemed to be well run. They couldn't make it
> as a business, so it may be that it's too much of a specialty topic to be
> viable.

Bricks-and-mortar stores seem to have to stick to the really popular
titles to make a go of it and cover the rent.  If your tastes run to the
nondefault, an online retailer like amazon.ca is much more likely to be
able to cover it; if it's in print at all then they probably have it.
And that applies to CDs and DVDs as well as to books.

> As an alternative, anyone can visit the University libraries. You can make
> copies but not borrow the books, ...

The U of T bookstore used to have quite a good collection of serious
computer science books for sale, though last time I took a look there
things looked a lot more dumbed-down than I remembered.

--
Anthony de Boer