Computer books

Peter Hiscocks phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 15 16:02:26 UTC 2005

I'd agree that the collections at Indigo and Chapters are pretty useless for
serious reading in computer science.

However, as far as the sale of computer books is concerned, you will recall
that Toronto Computer Books, which used to be on Yonge south of Wellesley,
had a very good collection and seemed to be well run. They couldn't make it
as a business, so it may be that it's too much of a specialty topic to be
viable.

You can argue that the big bookstores (which were carrying many of the same
titles at that time) put them out of business, but even so, it's evidently
not hugely profitable.

As an alternative, anyone can visit the University libraries. You can make
copies but not borrow the books, unless you're affiliated with that
university. If you want to browse, you could check out Ryerson, U of T and
York (all of which have departments of computer science) for titles and
then purchase the ones you think you should have on hand.

Peter

On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 07:05:18AM -0500, James Knott wrote:
> Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> > James Knott wrote:
> >
> >>  Now most of the retail book industry is controlled by one company,
> >> which has resulted in a much poorer book selection and in the process
> >> is also hurting the Canadian book industry.
> >

> > You seem to be against PC and globalization. And deregularization or
> > something like that. Etc... Not nice. Bigger brother will remember that.
>
> What's "PC" in this context?  And no, I'm not against globalization.
> And I don't recall mentioning anything about "deregularization or
> something".  I was simply pointing out that one company has taken
> control of the market, to the detriment of the customers and publishers.
>   I also oppose Microsoft's domination of the software market for
> similar reasons.
>
> In the case of book stores, Heather Reisman has greatly reduced the
> selection of books available to customers and has publicly stated her
> intention to move her book stores in other directions.  Unfortunately,
> there are few other available book stores, that carry the books we're
> looking for.

Peter D. Hiscocks
Ryerson University,
350 Victoria Street,