Suse Linux and GVC ADSL Modem

Peter Hiscocks phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 15 05:41:19 UTC 2005

Folks -

I just installed Suse Linux Professional 9.2 on our domestic computer
system, formerly a Windows 98 system. I was very impressed with the ease of
installation - Suse partitioned the hard drive without any intervention,
detected most of the hardware, and most of it works just fine. And the main
thing, my wife is very favourably impressed with KDE and Open Office, so
she'll probably actually use it in prefence to the Windows stuff.

However (you knew this was coming, didn't you? ;), Suse did not recognize
the GVC BB069 ADSL modem that connects to our ISP (Pathcom), and to the
computer via USB. (It did recognize the Canon scanner, however, which is
also a USB device.) After looking through the manuals and browsing the
internet, I can't find anything that (a) says how to install a driver, if
driver is needed and (b) what driver to use. In fact, it looks as if USB
ADSL modems are not all that common in general.

Given that this may be a Toronto centric thing (USB GVC BB069 Modem), I
thought perhaps someone else in this group might have a solution. The Kernel
is 2.6.8.

Any pointers or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Peter

--
Peter D. Hiscocks
Ryerson University,