Suse Linux and GVC ADSL Modem

Michael Hong msh7-U2XT7ciQrQL3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 15 07:15:40 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 00:41 -0500, Peter Hiscocks wrote:
> I just installed Suse Linux Professional 9.2 on our domestic computer
> system, formerly a Windows 98 system. I was very impressed with the ease of
> installation - Suse partitioned the hard drive without any intervention,
> detected most of the hardware, and most of it works just fine. And the main
> thing, my wife is very favourably impressed with KDE and Open Office, so
> she'll probably actually use it in prefence to the Windows stuff.
>
> However (you knew this was coming, didn't you? ;), Suse did not recognize
> the GVC BB069 ADSL modem that connects to our ISP (Pathcom), and to the
> computer via USB. (It did recognize the Canon scanner, however, which is
> also a USB device.) After looking through the manuals and browsing the
> internet, I can't find anything that (a) says how to install a driver, if
> driver is needed and (b) what driver to use. In fact, it looks as if USB
> ADSL modems are not all that common in general.
>
> Given that this may be a Toronto centric thing (USB GVC BB069 Modem), I
> thought perhaps someone else in this group might have a solution. The Kernel
> is 2.6.8.

Is this your modem?
http://www.gentek.com/products.cgi?cat=879&sub=882&sku=BB0069

If so, it may not be too promising because they seem to list linux
compatibility for some of their other modems but not that one.

I found this as well... not sure if it will work though:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/eciadsl/

Michael